Thursday, November 02, 2006

Children Learn What They Live


Children Learn What They Live
If a child lives with criticism, he learns to condemn . . .
If a child lives with hostility, he learns to fight . . .
If a child lives with fear, he learns to be apprehensive . . .
If a child lives with pity, he learns to feel sorry for himself . . .
If a child lives with ridicule, he learns to be shy . . .
If a child lives with jealousy, he learns to feel guilt . . .
BUT
If a child lives with tolerance, he learns to be patient . . .
If a child lives with encouragement, he learns to be confident . . .
If child lives with praise, he learn appreciation.
If a child lives with acceptance, he learns to love . . .
If a child lives with honesty, he learns what truth is . . .
If a child lives with fairness, he learns justice . . .
If a child lives with security, he learns to have faith in himself and those about him . . .
If a child lives with friendlienss, he learns the world is a nice place in which to live . . .
by Dorothy Law Nolte


I first saw this poem was I was in primary school and my form teacher gave me a little bookmark, for Children's Day perhaps. At that time the poem was meaningless to me. I was more of like "SO MANY WORDS" kinda attitude.
Saw this again recently and thought about the environment I grew up in and how it has shaped the kind of person I am today. Better able to appreciate it now. A meaningful poem indeed.
What is past we cannot change but the future is for us to create :)

0 comments: