Sunday, September 23, 2007

The 5 Love Languages

Our emotional love language and the language of another person may be as different as Chinese from English. No matter how hard you try to express love in “English”, if your friend understands only “Chinese”, you will never understand how to love each other. There are basically five emotional love languages—five ways that people speak and understand emotional love.

Words of Affirmation: I feel especially loved when people express how grateful they are for me, and for the simple, everyday things I do. (Generally in words/writings)
Quality Time: I feel especially loved when a person gives me undivided attention and spends time alone with me
Receiving Gifts: I feel especially loved by someone who brings me gifts and other tangible expressions of love
Acts of Service: I feel especially loved when someone pitches in to help me with some work or running some errands
Physical Touch: I feel expecially loved when a person expresses feelings for me through physical contact

Communicating love isn’t as easy as feeling “in love,” because it’s quite a different thing. Falling in love is not an act of the will or a conscious choice. It’s effortless. Love is something you do for someone else, not something you do for yourself. When you choose to speak someone else's love language, whether or not it is natural for you, though you might not even like the language, but speaking it will clearly communicate love. Love is a choice.

Think about your family, close frens, special frens. What is their love language? Can you bless them today by speaking a love language that they understand best? :)

*Special thanks to http://www.fivelovelanguages.com/

0 comments: